Posts Tagged ‘quilt series’

The fabric is winning

July 27, 2011

I used up one entire piece of fabric. The rest of the story is that it was one 6″ strip, which doesn’t really make a dent in the piles. Still, fabric used is better than fabric stored, and I made the top for Checks, Balances and Fairie Charms.

I intended to make the border entirely out of half-cathedral windows. I even revised the center section so my border could be designed with easy math. Then I decided to add an inner border, which is fine, but I made some of the outer border blocks before I remembered to check my math again. Since I am a lazy quilter, I decided it would take less time to revise the border than to redo the math. In any case, I like the way it turned out so that’s the end of the complaining for me (at least about this project).

For the record, the blue techno-print is the one that is entirely used up:

Next in line for The Computer Ate My Homework series is Careless Tabs. If you click on the Nonprinting Characters icon on the tool bar of your word processing program , you’ll see that a tab is represented by an arrow. I saw this fabric with arrows and knew that I had to use it somewhere in this series.

I’m not sure what the rest of the quilt will look like, since I have several stacks of background fabrics auditioning for a spot:

For one quilt . . .

. . . or another

As thrilled as I am to be churning out the tops for this series, I know eventually I will have to do the quilting and embellishing. Until that happens, I’ve merely moved fabric from one stack to another, with a little stitching in between. And that’s what the title of this week’s blog means – as hard as I’m working to use up stuff so I can clean up the studio, the fabric is still winnning.

Unexpected Efficiency

July 20, 2011

Other obligations kept me out of the sewing room until Sunday. I dreaded going in and not being able to remember what I planned to do next, but an amazing thing happened – I got things done. In fact, I finished making kits for this week’s quilting class early. Then I attacked the technopixies series, and even got a start on the Progressive Party assignment.

I find this burst of efficiency terribly distracting. The last time I felt confident that I was on top of things I discovered I had let the car insurance come within 24 hours of lapsing. My Russian soul is shivering even as I write, waiting for the Golden Horde to come thundering over the steppe.

Still, I did manage to get a few things done and for now I’ll be happy. The first of the technopixie quilts is nearly to the quilting stage. I still have issues with his arms and hands, but I found a chain for his pet’s leash and I’m certain I can find other embellishments to disguise my drawing errors:

I also started on the next quilt in the series – Checks, Balances and Fairie Charms.

My first thought was to make a bunch of cathedral windows blocks, but after I put one side on I realized that a half-block would give me more design options:

I also found a bracelet that a friend bought me at a rummage sale for use as embellishments. If this isn’t a fairie charm, I don’t know what is:

There are still deadlines screaming for attention. No level of efficiency is high enough to counteract the effects of saying yes to too many projects. Nevertheless, I will try to enjoy this rare feeling of accomplishment . . . right after I double-check the bill pile.