The latest Challenge assignment is to feature a motif that starts with the first letter of the maker’s name. I looked around at my fabric collections – lobellia, lightning bolts, lollipops . . . aha! Lobsters!
My first thought was to make a convergence quilt, but the fabrics don’t play together nicely for that. Then I thought of keeping the lobsters as whole as possible and adding triangles to lead the viewer’s eye into a central panel. I counted the seams and decided I don’t want to work that hard on what is essentially a joke quilt. Then I read the Bridges post from Random Acts of Piece and thought, “Self, you could do this.”
Except I can’t. Not yet, anyway. The sad truth is every time I plan to use a large print, especially a novelty print, I need to make something that showcases the fabric first. Once I’ve got that done, I can slice and dice to my heart’s content. Until then, my hand hovers over the fabric, rotary cutter at the ready, but will not cut.
So, back to square one. I pondered why I buy lobster fabric, and decided it was because the little buggers look like space aliens. Then I remembered this hilariously awful 50s sci fi film – Teenagers from Outer Space – which features a monster (a screaming monster, no less) that is essentially a lobster silhouette superimposed on the frame. I pulled out my space fabric and auditioned a potential center on my design board.
The more I looked at it, the more I realized I could keep this project simple. After all, what I really want is to remember the fabric as it once appeared.
I may bead this, or sew on buttons that look like space ships. In any case, I am over my obsessive need to showcase the lobsters. Now maybe I can cut the critters up for something more artsy than jokesy.
Luck and wisdom!