My Accidental Modern

A few years ago I started a collection of shamrock and leprechaun fabric, with one green print of numbers. I had a title – Logarithms and Leprechauns – and an idea to use bargello piecing. That was where it stopped until PBS ran a series on the 1916 Easter Uprising. I pulled out the project bag and started cutting.

The piecing went as you might expect. I put a couple of strips together and said, “Self, if you separate the strips into two rows the piece will be more interesting.” So I did that, sewed a couple more strips together and said, “Self, if you smoosh the two sections together the piece will be more interesting.” So I did that, and then it was time to audition borders. That’s when I turned the piece on its side and discovered I had made a modern quilt.

Should I rename this Barging Into Modern?

Should I rename this Barging Into Modern?

I brought it to my friendship group and they agreed it is sorta kinda maybe modern. That’s good enough for me. I pieced the back with the leprechaun fabric (because it refused to play nice with the fabrics for the top).

The leprechauns that started it all

The leprechauns that started it all

Luck and wisdom!

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

One Response to “My Accidental Modern”

  1. norma Says:

    Great accident – it’s a lovely modern quilt.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: