Worm Hole – Another in the Space Quilt Series

Cleaning gave way to beading this week. I absolutely, positively had to finish the black hole quilt, which morphed into Worm Hole when I found a cool black netting with silver sparkles (because everyone knows worm holes are filled with glitter, right?).

The event horizons – i.e., the slits – needed to be bound, so I started with a simple button hole stitch and metallic blue thread. Well, to be honest, I started with the button hole stitch on my sewing machine and purple variegated thread, but I wasn’t please with the result. I’ve never been pleased with my attempts at button holes, which is why any clothing I’ve every made uses buttons as decorative elements only. At any rate, I switched to hand embroidery and created four event horizons. I had originally thought of having more slits, but my wrist started complaining after the fourth one.

Before I cut the slit open, however, I decided the metallic thread simply didn’t express everything I wanted about the event horizon, so I added some beads. At first I was only going to use seed beads, but as I was rooting around in the bead drawer I found these square beads. Since I can be distracted by excess (if one is good, ten are great and a hundred are fabulous), I grabbed the two kinds of beads and raced out of the room before some other glittery embellishment leaped into my hands.

Event horizon

Then I made a tube out of the glitter fabric. It was at this point that I was glad I only had four slits, because threading the tube in and out of the quilt was not nearly as much fun as you might think. I was terrified of splitting the thread and having beads spring off like a hail of grapeshot, but as it turned out the sparkles did all the springing. I’ll be dusting glitter out of my hair for days to come, I’m sure.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should admit that the quilt isn’t entirely finished. I have to sew the beginning and end of the netting tube to the slits and decide how I want to hang it, since I cleverly put a slit where the sleeve should be. Nevertheless, the quilt is finished enough for a picture, and perhaps even show and tell at the guild, and that makes me very happy.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: